31 August 2008

Keeping up with the Joneses

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper." Quentin Crsip

When I graduated high school and began at UChicago, I thought, "Ohh, this is the crazy party scene I've always hear about."

When I transferred to IU from Chicago, I realized, "Ohh, no, these people really know how to party. This is the crazy party scene."

But, today, when I read about Dune Southhampton, I discovered actually, that this is really a crazy party. Thousands of dollars being spent on cars required to arrive in, clothes required to get in and drinks required to stay in.

I cannot imagine spending $50,000 in one weekend just to party. That's a lot of money. I mean, you couldn't go to the moon or anything for that price, but it's still quite a hefty sum.

Last night, we decided we would not begin our evening at Kilroys because the drinks were $8 a piece. I fear that those charging a $2,000 drink minimum in Southhampton would not welcome us with open arms (but hey, you never know).

But I guess you do what you have to do to stay in. At Chicago, it didn't take a lot of effort to stay in. I just had to dress the part. When I came to IU, it required a little more money and a slight wardrobe enhancement, but it's easy to keep up. At Dune Southhampton, it takes a whole lot more money, clothing and schmoozing. But if it's worth it to them, it's their choice. They're just keeping up with the Joneses. I guess I just didn't realize the Joneses were models and millionaires...

...maybe keeping up with the Rockefellers is a little more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3