25 October 2012

atlanta bucket list, here we go...

Atlanta Bucket List

Atlanta is a city of transplants, natives being a rare breed. It leads to a widespread attitude of: I might leave Atlanta tomorrow. Or I might stay forever.

Which is exactly how I feel. Some days, I am in love with this city, and can imagine myself raising my family here, sweet little y’all saying babes. And other times, I think: what’s next? Where will my next adventure take me?

Regardless of how long I will be here, it’s high-time I put my bucket list into writing. So here we go. Every ATL must-do, for your partaking pleasure. I've already checked off a few long-standing bucket listers. But there are still quite a few to go.
Let's do this...

  1. Dahlonega to hike and wine taste
  2. Dogwood Festival ✓ done
  3. Grant Park Farmers’ Market ✓ done
  4. Braves Game ✓ done. a lot.
  5. Peachtree Road Race ✓ done, albeit a last minute decision and a bandit entry.
  6. Triathlon at Lake Lanier ✓ done
  7. Serenbe Farm for brunch and exploring ✓ done
  8. BBQ at Fat Matt’s done
  9. Breakfast at Ria's Bluebird ✓ done
  10. NASCAR at Atlanta Motor Speedway
  11. World of Coke Museum ✓ done
  12. Live music at Eddie’s Attic ✓ done
  13. Six Flags Over GA ✓ done
  14. Pizza and gelato at Antico ✓ done
  15. Go to the original Chik Fil A in Hapeville ✓ done - with this crazy broad - not even on purpose
  16. Fernbank ✓ done
  17. Night out at MJQ and El Bar ✓ done
  18. Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles
  19. 420 Fest ✓ done
  20. Live music at Northside Tavern (must be there for band's entrance) ✓ done
  21. Dinner&bocce at Empire State South ✓ done
  22. Jimmy Carter Library and Museum
  23. Explore the BeltLine ✓ done
  24. Bottomless wine night at Barcelona
  25. Atlanta Botanical Garden ✓ done
  26. Taste of Atlanta
  27. Atlanta Hawks game ✓ done
  28. Free Beer Friday at Diesel at 5:37
  29. Concert at Chastain ✓ done
  30. Concert at Aaron’s Amphitheater ✓ done (Jimmy Buffett, Toby Keith and Def Lepperd. Kind of an assortment...)
  31. Burgers at Ann’s Snack Bar
  32. Prohibition
  33. Drive in movie at Starlight
  34. Johnny’s Hideaway ✓done. but not until this weekend. how did i go that long without it?
  35. Blast 900 ✓done and was so sore.
  36. Go to a political debate at Manuel’s Tavern
  37. Atlanta Falcons game ✓ done
  38. Georgia Aquarium ✓ done
  39. Dad’s Garage
  40. Oyster Fest ✓ done!
  41. Volunteer at CHOA ✓ done
  42. Monster Truck Rally at the Georgia Dome ✓ done
  43. Sweetwater on a Friday afternoon ✓done
  44. When it Rains We Pour at Park Tavern ✓ done
  45. Explore ethnic restaurants on Buford Highway ✓ done
  46. Holeman + Finch burger ✓ done. good burger. not so good date.
  47. Karaoke on Buford Highway ✓ done
  48. The Goat Farm ✓ done
  49. Hike Stone Mountain ✓ done
  50. Shuffleboard at Twain’s ✓ done
  51. Tuesday nights at Star Bar
  52. Martinis & IMAX
  53. Picnic in Historic 4th Ward Park
  54. Eat at Vortex (Little Five Points) ✓ done
  55. Drinks at the Sun Dial ✓ done
  56. Rocky Horror Picture Show (in costume)
  57. Kayak the Chattahoochee at sunrise ✓ done
  58. Brunch at West Egg ✓ done and a major addiction
  59. Shoot the Hooch ✓ done. many times. (and will do many more times)
  60. Ride the Silver Comet Trail ✓done, while tri training
  61. Eat at Waffle House ✓ done, but only had chocolate milk. so did it count?
  62. W rooftop pool ✓ done
  63. Feed to duckies at Piedmont Park ✓ done
  64. Tailgate for Tech ✓ done
  65. Tailgate for UGA (I know. It’s a blog divided) ✓ done
  66. Brunch at Sun in my Belly ✓ done
  67. Decatur Farmers' Market ✓ done
  68. Ice skate at Park Tavern ✓ done
  69. Summerfest in the Highlands ✓ done
  70. Lunch at Mary Mac’s Tea Room ✓ done
  71. Go to Flip Burger, Farm Burger and Yeah! Burger (but not in one night) ✓ done, done and done
  72. Buy something at Paris on Ponce ✓ done
  73. Scott’s Antique Show ✓ done
  74. CNN Center
  75. Falafel King in Emory Village
  76. Zoo Atlanta ✓ done
  77. FlyWheel Atlanta ✓ done
  78. Coffee at Octane in Grant Park ✓ done
  79. Tour Oakland Cemetery
  80. Lucky Fest ✓ done
  81. Dinner at TOP FLR
  82. Jewelry making class at Brina Beads
  83. Drive and sip coffee down Tuxedo Road
  84. Games at Ormsby's ✓ done
  85. Helen, GA Oktoberfest ✓ done
  86. Hot&fresh doughnuts at Krispy Kreme
  87. Eat at One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks ✓ done and done
  88. Hummus plate at Cafe Agora ✓ done
  89. Pumpkin Carving Contest at P’cheen
  90. Screen on the Green 
  91. Thrashers game ✓ done
  92. Food Truck Park ✓ done
  93. King of Pops ✓done
  94. Fireworks at Lenox ✓ done
  95. Eat at the Varsity ✓ done
  96. Callaway Gardens
  97. Music Midtown
  98. Milkshakes at Woody's ✓ done 
  99. Yum Yum cupcake Truck ✓ done
  100. Souper Jenny ✓ done
  101. Piedmont Park Arts Fest ✓ done
  102. Café Jonah ✓ done
  103. Yacht Rock ✓ done and done
  104. PureBarre ✓ done
  105. Grocery shop at Your Dekalb Farmers' Market ✓ done
  106. Stone Mountain Laser Show
  107. Carryout from Little Bangkok ✓ done
  108. Governor's Mansion at Christmas
  109. A show at the Fox done
  110. Brew at the Zoo
  111. Atlanta History Center ✓done
  112. Hike Sweetwater Creek State Park
  113. Apple picking in north Georgia
  114. Christmas tree lighting at Lenox
  115. Fox Bro's BBQ ✓ done
  116. Tasting at Red Brick Brewery (formerly ABC) ✓done
  117. HIGH Museum
  118. Improv at Village Theatre
  119. The Glen Hotel Rooftop Bar
  120. Green Market at Piedmont Park ✓done
  121. Dinner at Watershed ✓done
  122. Juice the town: Arden's Garden, Juicy Jenny and Kale Me Crazy ✓ done
  123. High tea at Dr. Bombay's Underwater Tea Party ✓ done
  124. Chomp & Stomp ✓ done
  125. Run in Lullwater Preserve ✓ done
  126. Drinks at Wrecking bar ✓ done
  127. Downtown Ferris Wheel ✓ done
  128. Dinner at an Underground Supper Club ✓ done, but really want to try PushStart, too. 
  129. Brunch at Murphy's ✓ done
  130. Spin the rock at the corner of 10th and Piedmont ✓ done
  131. Breakfast at Highland Bakery in Old Fourth Ward (must have sweet potato biscuit) ✓ done
  132. Chattahoochee Coffee Company ✓ done
  133. Explore the Bellwood Quarry ✓ done
  134. JCT Sunday Supper ✓ done
  135. Doughnuts at Sublime (strawberry shortcake for me!)
  136. Bottomless wine & cheese plate at Parish ✓ done
  137. Victory Sandwiches (+spiked slushies) ✓ done
  138. Games & Moscow Mule slushies at the Painted Pin ✓ done
  139. Grab a glass of wine and see a movie at Midtown Arts Cinema ✓ done
  140. Westside Provisions District crawl: dinner at JCT, dessert at Jeni's ice cream, games at Ormsby's and music at Northside Tavern ✓done
  141. Rooftop dinner at Six Feet Under 
  142. Dinner at Bartaco ✓ done
  143. Brunch at Buttermilk Kitchen ✓ done
  144. African food at 10 Degrees South
  145. Music at Blind Willie's ✓ done
What am I missing?

PS: A HUGE thank you to everyone who added to this list via comments and emails. I love that it is a work in progress and a compilation of the ideas of so many amazing people! Let me know what you try :)

43 comments:

  1. Not much!:) You've inspired me to make my own list. Which will consist of many of the things you have listed here. Let's mark off a few together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend just moved to ATL! I'm going to send her this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pinned this. I'm so impressed--I've lived here forever and I don't know if I could've done this good of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast at White House is one of my favorite atlanta things ever, that and a burger and beer at Vortex.

    Now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun list! How about Clermont Lounge, burrito from El Pollo burrito, MLK's house. Where did you get that awesome photo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many fun things left for you to do! I'm excited for you! (And yes, you need to do #59 again, and preferably at 4am).

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a Georgia native (30 minutes south of Atlanta), I loved reading tis list! I've done/want to do a lot of your list! I'll have to think if I can think of anything to add.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I would add ... See Gen. Lee (the South's famous groundhog) at Yellow River Game Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought of a few more ... Eat at the OK Cafe and visit the governor's mansion (perhaps for the Christmas tree lighting). Also, the metro area has a lot of great churches to visit. (Many have well-known pastors.)

    A few more...sorry if these are repeats...Atlanta History Center...And if you have kids...LegoLand at Phipps...American Girl Store at North Point...the children's museum downtown...Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth (although that's not necessarily a kid thing).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep thinking of more, but I'll stop after this ... ;o)

    Ride The Pink Pig at Lenox--it's an Atlanta tradition! (Open late October-December).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SUCH a good list – so many that I need to cross off, too! I totally agree with the Governor’s Mansion. It's beautiful during the holidays. I also recommend a behind-the-scenes tour of the Fox - and to see a show at the Fox – or any of the in town neighborhoods with the Atlanta Preservation Society. Tour the Atlanta History Center and Swan House and have brunch at the Swan Coach House. Hike Sweetwater Creek State Park and go up Amicalola Falls, especially at this time of year. Others: rent a cabin in the North GA mountains, go pick apples in the fall, see a show at the Laughing Skull Lounge, see Cirque under the big top at Atlantic Station, attend the Christmas tree lighting at Lenox, I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brew at the Zoo on Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kangaroo Sanctuary in Dawsonville only one like it in the country carriage ride diwntown
    the varsity high museum atlanta symphany family concert lake lanier christmas lights

    your list is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  15. See the General at the Southern Museum of locomotive history in Kennesaw? Eat a chili dog at Brandi's World Famous on Church St in Marietta? Feed a giraffe/panda/kimodo dragon at the zoo? Visit the Cabbage Patch General Hospital (and while you're up there, eat at the Smith House)?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shakespear's Tavern...Tin Lizzies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shakespear's Tavern...Tin Lizzies

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and Serenbe Farms is amazing! I'm in love with that little town and they have a farmer's market on saturday mornings :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh and Serenbe Farms is amazing! I'm in love with that little town and they have a farmer's market on saturday mornings :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Britney! As a native Atlantan I want to say THANK YOU for making this list. Still so much for me to see and do despite having lived here my entire life. Can I just slap you on the wrist now for only having chocolate milk at Waffle House? :) How about Margaret Mitchell House, HIGH museum and Friday night Jazz, Cafe Intermezzo, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Gone With the Wind Museum (Marietta), lunch at Downwind Restaurant/Peachtree Dekalb airport, concert at Variety Playhouse and everyone has got to experience MARTA at least once. I really love this city and hope you will too. It's never ending and you could possibly start another entire list just for restaurants to try!

    Glad to have found your blog...love following other ATL bloggers.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  21. 118 things on that list?! Dayyummmm you're an ambitious woman!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dogwood festival. Atlanta pride. Show at the fox. Bike in piedmont.

    ReplyDelete
  23. L5P halloween parade and pride!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been in Atlanta a year and I've already done some of these! YAY! I'm happy to have found another Atlanta blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You just made me miss Atlanta so freaking much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love ATL!! But you missed my favorite place in ATL, Georgia Shakespeare! They are remounting one of their best shows this next summer, Metamorphosis!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A few more from a lifetime Metro-Atlantan...

    Tallulah Gorge
    Horseback riding in the mountains
    Egg Harbor Cafe
    Drive HWY 20 (at least for a little while)
    Lake Lanier Islands Resort’s Magical Nights of Lights
    Visit the Chamblee Antique Row District
    Underground Atlanta
    See a horse show at Conyers International Horse Park (used for the '96 Olympics)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a good thing you already marked going to a Thrashers game off your list since, well, they're no longer in Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eat fried green tomatoes at Mary Mack's Tearoom, show at the FOX, people watch DragonCon, laser show at Stone Mtn, and the Ms. Atlanta Pagent

    ReplyDelete
  30. What about making a midnight trip to the hanging tree up in Cumming? http://www.thehauntedinternet.com/cumming.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh wow! This is a great list. I moved to Atlanta from Chicago 10years ago. I never knew there were so many things to experience here! I'm definitely starting my own ATL bucket list and will revisit yours frequently. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You need to try Sublime Doughnuts on 10th street in Midtown! And Antico pizza down the street

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really enjoying the list. It's a great starting place for my own list, and a fun trip down memory lane. Anything I haven't checked off myself is on the to do list for my girlfriend and I. I hope the list grows as fast as you check things off!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a great list, thanks for sharing!! I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in Atlanta either. I've had a bucket list ever since I moved here, but it's only getting longer. We finally started doing some of the things on it!! And now we have even more to add! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is great!! But please please please, tell me....Where did you get the beautiful picture? I am most recently from Atlanta and I love that poster. Please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Since you're a runner, you should think about doing the Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon (if you're ever in Atlanta over Thanksgiving) or the Publix Half Marathon! They're both such fun races. Also, the sunrise service on Easter morning at the top of Stone Mountain, eating at Buckhead Diner (expensive but so worth it), drinks at Churchill's, brunch at Rosebud, and going to a concert at the Georgia Theater in Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a good idea, I that I will make a "before I graduate college list!!"

    ReplyDelete
  38. Martinis & IMAX at the Fernbank!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great list, I have done most of the stuff there, I run a private activity group so if you want to join us just let me know. You need to go to Jazzoo, is happening soon and tickets are pricy BUT is soooo worth it, unfortunately I will be on a girl's beach trip so I cant go but you should def check it out. Also check out Jingle Mingle (December) and I prefer Taste of Alpharetta much more than Taste of Atlanta. Buckhead restaurant week just ended but Midtown is next month I think. Ok im going to stop now because i can go on forever... but i do have a google doc with things happening per month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOVE this list and haven't done most of these things! Doing it!

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3