23 September 2008

Slippery little guys...

I'd like to think I had a lot to offer to my friends in elementary school: I lived within walking distance of McKameys (R.I.P.), we had a pool, and my mom always provided us with great snacks.

However, I quickly learned that while my friends were more than happy to play in the pool and ride bikes outside, there was another reason they always chose to come to my house instead of theirs: my sisters.

No matter what we had planned for the day, the first question was: Can Courtney and Ashley do it with us?

And while I certainly didn't mind this at all, I'm sure my sisters (seven and five years my senior) were not thrilled with the idea of playing house with us.

There is something inherent in all children that makes them absolutely adore older kids. I'm not sure what it is, exactly; maybe it's their confidence (my sisters knew how to run the world at age twelve) or that they had such fun ideas (I never would have thought of setting up a tent to pretend camp out). I mean, my preteen sisters were just oh-so wise and worldly.

I'm afraid that the Bratz dolls may have used this star-struck attitude of the youth to their unfair advantage.

Really, why would an eight-year-old girl want to play with a makeup-free doll when they could be playing with a dressed up, sexualized Bratz doll?

Personally, I think my American Girl, Molly, (or even Barbie!) could have dominated Sasha (the current Brat of the week) any day. However, I have a sad feeling that when I was young, I would have definitely wanted a Bratz doll.

From the start of production, I've never quite understood why you would let your children play with a Bratz doll.

Merriam-Webster defines a brat as having immature and annoying characteristics. Would it sell quite as well if it were called Annoyingz? I doubt it.

Of course, this has all been said over and over, and I think the controversy of the Bratz dolls has been sufficiently discussed.

This week, though, the company took a large hit when Scholastic cut all Bratz products from their book clubs and fairs. By Scholastic taking a public stand against the company, they'll most likely lose any support they once had in school systems. Certain schools may even take steps to ban the dolls entirely (sounds like Giga pets!).

Banning the dolls in schools is possibly the largest setback the company may face. If it happens, it will be a crucial moment for Bratz dolls- a potential source of decline.

Just as Scholastic's stand was a vital moment, so was the failure to stand of several models in Milan during fashion week. A number of models fell on the catwalk due to aslippery fish pattern decorating the runway.

Essentially, the models have one job during fashion week: to walk. Failing to walk properly down the runway must be highly detrimental to their careers.

Personally, I find myself much more inclined to sympathize with the models than the Bratz. But let's be serious, I'm more of a Barbie girl myself.

1 comment:

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3