24 March 2009

(short) skirting the issue

I keep waiting for them to fall...

Actually, I really keep hoping they don't fall.

Because I, personally, love the short skirt. And even if the flappers lost their short hemlines, I'm not trying to hide my knees.

Though, I don't mean to hate on the longer skirts, I do love the maxi dress and the knee length skirts, however, I like to have the choice (freedom of speech, religion and fashion, ya know?).

However, it seems that this time George Taylor's theory that the hemline drops when the economy drops may not be true.

This season, Alexander McQueen and Phillip Lim mastered the shorter frocks on the runway. And even Diane Von Fursternburg's maxi dresses were sheer (not so conservative).

Maybe fashion doesn't follow economic trends, but instead predicts them (think Ouija board). They say that hemlines drop when the economy drops, but maybe the economy drops when hemlines drop. So really, short spring skirts means the economy must be rising.

Maybe we're all so aware of the theory that we see the shorter skirts, assume the economy must have risen (blissfully unaware) and we go out and purchase them. Thus, stimulating the economy and in fact, the economy rises at the same time the short skirts hit the streets.

Well, maybe that's a stretch (a long skirted stretch) but, between the Dow Jones' jump of 500 points yesterday and the 72 degree weather today, the short skirts were out in full force.

I'd like to think it's also a sign of a soon-to-be-booming economy that Michael Jackson is planning to auction nearly 2,000 pieces of his estate, for which he expects to earn $10 million to $20 million. I mean, short skirts and a single silver sequined glove?

It seems like things must be getting better.

Or maybe, Michael Jackson's just a little lost in Neverland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3