29 September 2009

Hoosiers just say no to the brain drain

"Well I was born in a small town and I live in a small town. Probably die in a small town, oh those small communities. All my friends are so small town. My parents live in the same small town..." JCM (from Seymour, Indiana), Small Town

After searching for a job for so long, I am stuck in a very distinct state of mind. Let me explain...

Someone tells me: My sister is getting married this weekend and her fiance works for P&G and she's just so frustrated because P&G won't let him off for his honeymoon and I thought P&G was a great place to work, but they haven't been very flexible.
I hear: My sister's fiance works for P&G and it's a great place to work, very flexible.
I think: Maybe he can help me get a job at P&G!

My mind has been morphed into this thing that is constantly networking. So, although I am officially employed (yaay!), I still cannot get it out of my head.

I believe that part of the reason I've become an uber networker is because of my surroundings. After a extensive personal research, Jim and I have come to the conclusion that people in Indiana are very willing to help with the process - even more so than other regions.

You mention that you're looking for a job here
and someone across the room comes over and says, my sister's fiance works at P&G and I'd love to help you! You don't even have to ask.

I attribute part of this phenomenon to the fact that Hoosiers tend to grow (and stick) where they're planted.

This weekend I was out at a bar and I met a few different people. The first person was from Seymour, Indiana. The second was from Fort Wayne, Indiana. The third was from Noblesville, Indiana.... and so on.

This summer I became so accustomed to people in Atlanta being from all over the country that it caught me off guard. With so many colleges and it being such a major city, Atlanta is a community of transplants. Hoosiers often grow up here, leave to go to Chicago or NYC for a bit, and make their way back. Personally, I believe it's because Indiana is such a wonderful and perfect place to raise a family (though Jim thinks my loyalty is a little excessive). However, regardless of why Hoosiers stick around, it certainly makes networking a whole lot easier when everybody knows everybody.

2 comments:

  1. ok, don't think I'm creepy--I just hopped around on your indiana posts. AND I'm from SEYMOUR! AHHHHHHHHH! anywho, sorry for my momentary freakout. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I was just doing a search for Zachary Binx and found your "blog" site. I guess that's what this is. I'm not use to getting onto blogs...my sons make fun of me. Hocus Pocus was one of mine and my sons' favorite movie's and we named our cat after Binx, so I called each of them to let them know that I am watching the movie for them right now. Your site is very cool. Hope you don't mind me exploring it. Oh, btw...we're from across the bridge (Louisville). Happy Halloween!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3