13 March 2013

{peanut butter popcorn}

Last week I missed National Peanut Butter day, which is obviously a raise the bar for next year. My go-to food deserves a little saluting.
I decided the holiday(ish), while now a distant memory, still called for a little extra PB loving, and what better to combine it with than one of my other all time favorite snacks? That's right: popcorn.
The thought of combining them seemed a little scary to me at first, but then I remembered that: (1) almost nothing is better than sweet+salty, (2) National PB day calls for extra creativity and (3) seriously what doesn't taste good with popcorn?
Everything tastes good with popcorn.
I got to popping and melting and happying yesterday and, let me assure you: you cannot go wrong with this one.
Ingredients
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter or more if you prefer
Directions
Using an air popper, pop the popcorn kernels into a large bowl.
Melt the peanut butter in a pan over low heat. Remove from heat and slowly drizzle over the popcorn. Note that microwave melting also works. I tried it. I can confirm it.
 Mix well to incorporate.

While an excellent dessert, it's also much more than that. I always workout during the day at work, after which I am in need of a protein+carb refuel (especially around 3 p.m.). This is the perfect way to refuel - not too indulgent, but just enough to be more interesting than my normal apple+PB snack.
In fact, it's the perfect way to spice up this lovely Wednesday.
Happy popping!

PS I may or may not have added chocolate chips when I ate it as dessert. I'm not confirming anything, but if I had done this, I'd tell you it was a great idea.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! But Whitney, HOW do you work out during the day and not look like a total mess for the rest of the day?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good! does the popcorn not get soggy from the pb? i tend to have that problem whenever i top my popcorn with things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm! I bet it was amazing with chocolate chips...hypothetically, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3