04 March 2015

{free coffee, free happies}

Something you should know about me is this: I'm a gift card hoarder. I never spend them because I obsess over buying the perfect thing. I'm a total prisoner to the plastic, which means I have about 50 in my purse (not an exaggeration). It's like the candle you never burn or the outfit you never wear because you love them so much.

For Lent I decided to give something away every day. Whether it's big or small need not matter - it could be a clothing item, essential oil, coffee mug or anything in between. I'm hoping that by giving away things - especially things I like - I will be less attached to my possessions and cultivate a posture of giving in my own life.

Last night, I decided to tackle my personal struggle and give away a gift card. I added $25 to an existing Starbucks card (making it just over $40 for 40 days of Lent) and posted it to Instagram this morning. I thought it would be fun for people to grab a coffee on their way into work.


It was the best morning watching the card be used and, just as it got to $0, someone reloaded it. Over and over again, people kept using it, then adding more. It was the gift card that never stopped giving and I was ecstatic all afternoon as it kept going and going.

It got me thinking about the way I look at my possessions. Sometimes I feel weighed down by them - I have so much stuff; do I really need it all? What the experiment taught me is that sometimes, having something to yourself can bring you joy. But most of the time, sharing it with others bring the joy back ten fold.

I don't know what is left on the card, but feel free to get yourself a coffee (you can scan it just like a gift card), add more to it, buy for a stranger or create your own way to share the love.

Happy Wednesday, my friends!

5 comments:

  1. How cool is this! I love the idea. Im a huge fan of starbucks so I wish I would have seen this in the morning before my work day started :)...I think this will not only make you feel great but inspire others to pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Instagram and this was such an amazing idea!! Love the idea of paying it forward online-- what a special treat! And I'd love to hear more about how giving away your other stuff goes! I think it's true that we get attached to possessions but I love the idea of lightening the load a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a creative idea and I love that people kept reloading it! I thought about using it but never made it to Starbucks! ;)

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3