05 August 2015

you have 48 hours in raleigh, north carolina: GO!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Chris and I had an awesome time in Raleigh in July. It was my first time there and the city had such a quaint town-like vibe. I love a city that can masquerade as a town.

With the help of my friends Claude and Kristina, I put together a Raleigh city guide. Next time you find yourself with 48 hours in that little city, here's how I suggest you spend it.

{If you're new to my City Guides, check out How to Spend a Weekend in Austin and 48 Hours in Nashville}


eat.
Finch's - This Raleigh staple has been around for more than 20 years. It's not fancy, but it's the perfect spot to get a hearty breakfast at a low cost.

Mami Nora's - I've not eaten a lot of Peruvian food, but, apparently this is the place to do it. It's a hole in the wall and you can eat a half chicken + two sides for $8. If you're not a fan of crowds, avoid it at lunchtime.

Chuck's - Craving a burger? Look no further. Named the Best Burger in Raleigh, their half-pound, house ground burgers hit the spot.

Raleigh Times - Quite possibly the most intriguing to me, this is where the local newspaper used to be printed. It looks to be more like bar food, but it's a downtown staple. Worth a stop!

Sitti - Known for super authentic Lebanese food, the hummus is said to be a must try. According to Yelp, the service can be hit or miss, but the kabobs make it worth it.

The Pit - Have you ever seen House of Cards? The barbecue place in Season 1 always made me want to have a spot like that in Atlanta. Apparently this is it for the people of Raleigh. All BBQ, all local.

Fiction Kitchen - Vegeterians unite! They've got a full-veg and some vegan (and gluten free!) offerings. Made from fresh, local ingredients, they even have vegan chicken biscuit and gluten free pancakes! It's on the top of my Raleigh list for my next visit.

Humble Pie - With local offerings and a patio + tiki bar (!) this one has my heart for dinner in Raleigh.


caffeinate.
Brew Coffee Bar - This was my first stop in Raleigh in July.  I loved it! The service was awesome, the drinks were great and they have almond milk. Sold & sold.

Yellow Dog Bread Company - Known for their coffee and baked goods, this is the perfect stop downtown to grab your caffeine and explore.

Cafe de los Muertos - A quirky little spot downtown. They're all about local roasters & local food. I'm all about that & that, too.

Morning Times - This is right above Raleigh Times. If you're there for breakfast, you ought to grab some Joe, too.

Sola Coffee Shop - Although it is not downtown, it has mini donuts and local music. With coffee! Need I say more?

Benelux Coffee - This one is in Cameron Village. Their coffee is brewed locally, but inspired by Belgian brews.

drink.

Big Boss - Brewery + darts and ping pong for those of us who aren't so into beer :)

Cornerstone and Brooklyn Heights - Side by side bars in neighboring houses.

The Anchor Bar - A new bar in downtown that's known for its fuss-free cocktails.

Foundation - An underground bar with swanky cocktails

State of Beer - A new, chill bar that allows you to sit at picnic tables while you drink your brews. Oh. And eat sandwiches. Sammies!

Boylan Bridge - Known for a patio that overlooks downtown. Patio = my jam-io.


play.

Pullen Park - As the first public park in North Carolina, this park sits next to NC State. It's great for intramurals and outdoor dates. Which are the best kind of dates, in my opinion.

Lake Johnson - The perfect spot for kayaking, canoeing and light hiking.

Shelley Lake - If you're looking for a paved and scenic running trail, this is the spot. The 2-mile loop circles the lake and is surrounded by greenery. My rollerblades are calling!

listen. 

Pour House - A small little venue where you can hear live, local music.

The Ritz - This venue was just renovated this year and is a good spot to see larger bands than Pour House.

C-Grace - A cocktail + jazz bar with only $5 cover. That's what I'm talking about.

Oak City 7 - Free music on Thursday nights downtown.

Happy Raleighing! 


2 comments:

  1. As a Raleigh resident, this guide is on point! All the best spots in one blog post, well done :) Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i appreciate that :) i loved raleigh!

      Delete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3