23 January 2012

peanut sat on a railroad track...

More than a year ago, I purchased a value pack of Omaha Steaks, (1) because it was on a major discount and (2) because there was chicken involved. 


Well, my friends, the chicken is long gone, and the steaks have been unleashed on my groceryless home. Considering I’ve had red meat maybe four times in the last year, and the steaks were wrapped in bacon (ick!) this scenario could be slightly alarming. But, I thawed them just enough to unpeel the bacon, cooked them with some olive oil, and voila! My first time making a steak was a success! Grocery-free has its benefits! 


Overall, it was pretty challenging making it through the weekend, especially because my green beans, cottage cheese and almonds are all gone, but I got a little creative and am feeling good about my nearing-bare cabinets. 

I will confess that I had one misstep Sunday, as I had to (had to!) buy peanut butter. I didn't have any breakfast items and I knew I would end up buying it at work every morning - so buying a jar of PB was actually more economically sound. Maaaybe I'm rationalizing here, but when brekky time rolled around this morning, I knew it was the right decision. 

2 comments:

  1. wow, you are brave! But I'm glad the steak turned out OK! (Although I would've eaten the bacon! he he!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it is national peanut butter day. thanks to trenty for informing me!

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3