08 March 2012

are ya bizzy?

"It's not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?" Henry David Thoreau

It's no secret that I love being busy. Not only do I thrive and am more productive when my schedule is packed, but it's also an addictive form of validation for me. It is fulfilling (#thetruthhurts).

This year, I vowed to slow down (via my New Year's resolutions). I would say, other than for about one week in January, I have done a bad-to-very-bad job of it.

It's.So.Hard.

But I recently read a WSJ article that got me thinking about all of this busyness. The author said that, in reality, we are all busy, but we make time for that which is a priority. If we want to fit something in, we'll find a way. With that mentality, she challenged readers to replace "I'm too busy to do XXX" with "that is not a priority for me," and to see how it changed it.

I don't have time to work out = working out is not a priority

I don't have time to go to bed earlier = sleep is not a priority.

I don't have time to help with your charity = your charity is not a priority.

It changes it, right? Sure makes you think twice before saying no.

Granted, it's kind of the opposite mentality I need to take on, seeing as at the root of my busy-problemo is a difficulty with saying no. But, it's still an interesting theory that makes you evaluate how you spend your time.

Okee. That's all for this Thursday. Back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.

image

2 comments:

  1. so true! it's important to make certain things a priority. i also think i end up diddle-daddling. sometimes the busier i am the more stuff i actually get done!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. NO EXCUSES! and No day but today, right!?

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3