08 July 2015

fresh mint chocolate chip cookies (dairy & gluten free)


Ever since my mom visited in early June, our vegetable garden has been en fuego. Our corn is knee high, our squash is blooming and the mint - oh, the mint! It's racing the basil across the garden to see which can grow faster and I honestly can't decide which one I'm rooting for.

This past weekend, I was craving mint chocolate chip cookies and decided I'd try using fresh mint instead of extract in them. I grabbed a handful in the garden and chopped it into tiny pieces. I must say - it's even better than using extract. It tastes so fresh and melted in my mouth. It's the perfect light, summer cookie.

And, let's be honest, it's never a problem for me when I can throw a few veggies (OK, OK herbs) into my cookies. It's basically breakfast by that point! (Looking at your avocado chocolate chip cookies).


Fresh mint chocolate chip cookies (dairy & gluten free)


Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 8 to 10 min.
Total time: 18 to 20 mins.

Yield: 1 dozen


Ingredients
  • 1/3 c. grass-fed butter
  • 1.5 T coconut oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 c. coconut sugar (can sub any variant of sugar)
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 t. pink himalayan salt (can sub kosher or sea salt)
  • 1.5 c. almond flour
  • 1/4 c. fresh mint
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl, mix butter, coconut oil, sugar and egg. Use hand mixer to blend until creamy.
  3. Mix in baking soda, salt and almond flour. Beat until well blended.
  4. In a food processor or Magic Bullet (I used the MB), finely chop the mint until it's in very small pieces.
  5. Slowly stir in mint and chocolate chips.
  6. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop balls of dough.
  7. Cook for ~8 to 10 minutes.
  8. Enjoy!
Happy eats!

1 comment:

  1. I need to make these asap...and we just bought some fresh mint! It's totally meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3