16 April 2014

spaghetti squash with avocado & kale pesto


Last night, on a whim, I decided to make dinner for Chris, which was the first time I've ever cooked for him instead of with him. He's Paleo (which I am not at all - I'm not even all that carnivorous these days) and a really good cook - so I was pretty nervous.

But it was oddly cold yesterday and he was working late and I decided it was time to go for it. I was inspired by Nicole's Avocado Pesto Sauce but, if you've ever made one of my recipes, you know I'm utterly defiant when it comes to following a recipe. I don't know if I'm a little bit more of a rebel than I realized or if I secretly think I'm going to be a chef someday or what.

That being said, here's my version of Avocado and Kale Pesto. I put it over baked spaghetti squash and added grilled chicken. The only thing I would have changed was to add more Cayenne and kale (as changed below) because the creaminess of the avocado and the sweetness of the squash begged for a little spicier. But I'm always up for more spice :)

avocado and kale pesto sauce


print recipe

  
Ingredients
  • 2 cups basil
  • 1 cup kale
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1 whole avocado
  • 2/3 cups olive oil
  • Himalayan salt to taste 
  • Black pepper, onion powder and Cayenne to taste 
Instructions

1. Blend ingredients in food processor
2. Add seasoning to taste
3. Put on squash and love your life


2 comments:

  1. remember when you didn't like kale? open your mind, open your heart...isn't that how the saying goes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these things!!! Sounds super tasty :)

    ReplyDelete

i'd loooove to hear from you! you make my day! <3